Tuesday, September 24, 2013 | 1:11 AM

I've wanted to post this for a while, and it was inspired by Tzu Hsiang.

Plenty of times we don't look around to realise how incredible the people around us are, and what they signify to us in our own lives. 

So this is a post for the people around me - thank you for being who you are, and I'm blessed to know you. This list is far from exhaustive, but it'll do for now :)

My mum taught me many things. To be strong, to be kind, to be diligent, and to find many ways of getting to one place. Essentially also, to never give up on something you really want, even though that's a lesson I'm still reluctant to learn (there are times when it is unimaginably difficult). Cliche as it is, I felt this was the best starting point because my mum has shaped much of who I am.

The leaders around me (Ling Hong, Daryl, Sean) All of you together have taught me so much about leadership, and, collectively, this one big lesson: to invest in the growth of the people you lead. I am really very lucky to meet leaders who care so much about the people under them, and who have shown me what innovation, conviction and commitment mean.

Tzu Hsiang always surprises me. In good ways. I'm going to write a little more for this one, just so she knows what a gem she is.

Passion Reading about her own mad obsession with starting a magazine, many of the emotions resonated with me, and it's cool to see her chasing her dream. I'm impressed by the seriousness with which she went into it, and the quality of the work produced. Hope it works out well!

If you're curious, here it is: http://heartmagazine.sg/

Energy & Spontaneity despite always looking half-asleep and hugging everything from trees to sofas like a koala (TH aren't you glad I put a real koala instead :P), she's often game for new and spontaneous experiences. I love her for that because it's refreshing to meet people with so much energy and spontaneity, and it's hard not to catch on to her spirit and want to do things too.


 Friendliness Something I always admire in TH is how she makes friends so easily. And she's so real that it's hard to fault people for liking her. If there's one thing I would want to learn from her, it's to be more friendly and genuine, and to take a real interest in the lives of people I don't know.

Her voice She has the most angelic voice when she sings, and so different from her usual, that it still surprises me when she sings. Again, if you're curious, here's her channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/speciallyi?feature=watch. Good things are worth sharing :).

Her authenticity (and sanity) I think what makes it hard to believe is how sane and authentic she is while being all that. She's very down-to-earth and authentic as a person, and cool precisely because she doesn't try to be. That's the part I love most about her <3 keep your head up!

Yup, that's all from me. Who are the people in your own life who mean something to you?

Inspired,

Labels: , , , ,